Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

10 Things To Live By

Just today I was able to see again one of the pen and paper games that I really loved back when I was in college - L5R or better know as Legend of the 5 Rings. An RPG based on the culture of the Japanese Samurai Code where I became part of the clan that served as the right hand of the empire - The Lion Clan. This gave me a glimpse of what kind of life and belief does Samurais have that they are willing to sacrifice everything, including their life, to reach their goals. Though it is just a game, some of the inputs are logical for everyday use. Just to give you an example I want to share with you the 10 Orders of Akodo (the head family of the Lion Clan)

1. Always carry a text with you. When you have nothing else to do, read. The mind must be exercised as well as the body.
2. When your lord calls to you, run to him, fall at his feet and speak his name loudly and proudly. Proclaim your loyalty to him with a shout that is painful to the throat. Be convinced in your loyalty, for if you are not, then your lord will not be convinced either.
3. Keep your sword close and clean and ready. Failing your sword means failing your lord.
4. Keep servants if you must, but only if you must. If there are repairs to be done in the house, make them. If there are rooms to be cleaned, clean them. Idleness is an enemy, and it is always best for a samurai to understand a thing before he requires another to do it for him.
5. Lady Sun and Lord Moon made us with a left hand and a right hand. in the left goes the text, and in the right goes the sword. Remember this.
6. When you come before a superior, drop your hands at your side and bow lower than they. Dropping your hands away from your sword shows your trust. Bowing your head does this as well. These two actions say, "My life is yours to take if you wish."
7. Rise in the morning before your servants do and have half of the duties done before they have even bathed. Men follow the example of those they admire.
8. Assassins creep in the late hours, so go to bed early. Then, when they creep in at midnight you will be fresh, rested, and ready.
9. Wash. A dirty man must itch and scratch. An itching and scratching man is slow.
10. Be ready to die. Any man is ready to kill, but only a samurai is ready to die.


As a Christian, i saw these game orders in a different light. My sword is the Bible. My Lord is Jesus. My servants are the people that I disciple or the people that I minister to. Lady Sun and Lord Moon is simply God. The Assassin is the devil.

Last year, I was able to watch the movie Courageous where 5 different men (4 police officers and 1 common worker) went through different trials in life and towards the middle they unanimously decided to make a covenant that will keep them bounded by their words to live a life that is daily committed to the Lord and kept in check. Just like the life that the samurais lived by always reminding themselves of these 10 Orders. In the same note, I have made my 10 Things To Live By to help me keep myself in check on a daily basis. This is not a religious practice, this is just a guide - my guide:

1. Seek God first before making any decision or action (Matt 6:33)
2. Willfully do things for God's glory - not by accident. (1 Cor 10:31, Jos 24:15)
3. Honor God with your money or property (Mal 3:10, Mat 25:14-30)
4. Mind your own business (1 Thes 4:11)
5. If you do not work, you don't eat (2 Thes 3:10)
6. Do not be greedy, live with what you have (Prov 11:24, 1 Tim 6:10)
7. Be a man of integrity. Mean what you say, and say what you mean. (Luk 16:12)
8. Honor your parents & you will live a long and fruitful life (Prov 6:20, Exo 20:12)
9. Stay away from an immoral woman. (Prov 31:30)
10. Praise God when you have plenty and when you have none (Job)

These simple list has kept me going through the though times, survived countless storms, and make critical decisions. I'm not saying that this is the ultimate list of things you can live daily by, this is just my list. You can make it your list too, if you want. But it would be better if you can make your own personal 10 Things To Live By.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment