Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Death's Wish

March 4, 2009

My great grandmother lived in San Francisco for quite some time. My grand uncle's (my mom's uncle) family is the one taking care of her. She made a few visits here in the Philippines and stayed with us in Lucban for vacations. She is a devout Catholic and was the one who taught our family the ways of the catholic living. That was when we where not yet Christians. My mom missed her so much and would always tell me stories about her being the favorite granddaoughter of my great grandmother.

My mom told me that ever since my great grandmother, Lola Demi, returned to the states she's been prayer for her that in some way God would send someone to her and tell her about the Good News. Everyday she would include my great grandmother in her prayer in her devotional time. Time passed and we got to receive some news from the states about how they where doing there, the health status of our relatives living there, and what are their plans. Every year was the same thing, Christmas Greeting cards, "Hello" emails, rearely received phonecalls, and delayed news. But my mom kept on praying for her.

Just a few weeks ago I received an email from my grand auntie that my great grand mother was very sick that they had to confine her in a hospital. She asked for my mom's phone umber and my grand mother's number (who happens to be staying with us at the moment). They called up, but the line was very chopy and noisy,  to tell us to pray for my Lola Demi who is in critical condition due to old age. A few days later they called up again to tell us to keep praying for Lola Demi, and to tell us that she is in a coma now. Then last saturday my grand auntie called up again and told my mom to talk to Lola Demi, they said that "maybe she could not pass-on because she still wants to hear someone from the family."

So my mom took the phone, nervous about what to say, and could not say anything but "Lola si Jesus lang po ang makakapagligtas sa inyo..." She said the same thing again and again, until finally the phone was taken by my grand aunt. The next day she died...

My mom's prayer was answered, someone was able to tell my great grandmother the Good News. God chose her, the favorite granddaughter, to tell Lola Demi about the salvation that Jesus has for her. At first she was very disappointed because of the words she was only able to say in the phone. She said that she should have led Lola Demi in a sinner's prayer, but completely forgot about it, but I gave her this verse

"So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Isaiah 55:11

Even the simplest "Jesus Loves You" can be used by God to reach the most lost soul. He does not need our eloquence in words, nor our convincing prowess. He wants our most sincere desire to save the lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment