Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

X-mas sucks!!!

October 16, 2012

Normally during Mondays my wife, Faye, usually do not pack me a lunch to take to my work. So during these days I have to go out of the office and go to my favorite pointy-pointy (turo-turo) and eat there. Just recently on my way back to the office I noticed an advertisement billboard of Christian Bautista for a concert (I guess) entitled Xclass. As I was browsing at the details I noticed that he changed his name (for the particular add only I guess) to X-tian. This lead me to the question “why?” Yes, why would someone want to remove Christ from his name?

A few days back as I was watching one of my favorite shows, The Voice, I noticed that Christina Aguilera opted to write her name at the back of her seat as “X-tina”. I have nothing against Christina. Honestly my wife and I have high respects for her voice and her talent to put-up a show! And now we have a better respect for her since she is also a good voice coach. What I just can’t understand is what is with this replacing “Christ” with “X”?

So I did a little research, and with a little help from my all knowing friend – the internet, to find out what is the story behind this “X” thing. This lead me to learn that the first word that was abbreviated with this was Christmas. It was there that I learned that this replacing the name of “Christ” with “X” goes all the way back to 1485. Apparently, there was no harm intended for the use of this abbreviation as it was the first letter in the Greek word Χριστός or Cristos or Christ. Surprised? I know I was. This was commonly used by early educated Englishmen who knew their Greek (to flaunt their educational background) and for oppressed Christians (to hide their identity). For the most part the use of “X” was an informal way of saying “Christ.”

As a Christian I can’t imagine that something as mediocre as X can replace Christ. You’re probably thinking “Come on! It’s just a play of words. No big deal!” I’m sorry but no, IT IS a big deal – at least for me. Without Christ I am nothing. Without Christ nothing that exist would have existed. If the name has no value then why on earth is everybody celebrating Christmas, both those who believe in the name and those who do not? Picture this; what if one day your family, friends, colleagues, and everyone you know decided to celebrate your birthday, BUT decided that you are not invited to the party. As a matter of fact you are not to be mentioned during the party and everyone will just refer to you as “X” when they want to say something that involves your name in it. How would that feel?

Today we hear of governments decreeing to disallow Christians to speak their faith or else you go to jail, get flogged, or sentenced to death. Even mall guards (anywhere) will pick you up and throw you out if they catch you telling another person about Jesus. In some countries they forbid prayer or reading the Bible. Old family customs teach us to pray to a woman instead of praying to Jesus. We call on God when we have calamities and immediately forget Him when he sends help.

From the words of KJ-52 in the song 5th Element from the Album Collaborations:

Who am I? See I'm the God that you don't know about
I gave you breath up in your lungs that you can't go without
See you know the facts of My story you been told about
I'm always reaching out for you but you just keep on holding out

Many times I invite you while standing here right besides you
But you walk right past, you ignore My hands here given to guide you
I gave you gifts, I gave you talents that you just used to gain your wealth
But you took my gifts and talents only for you, just to glorify yourself

I was beaten and bruised, crushed now for your iniquity
Stripped naked, I was spit upon just for you to live eternally
Yet you blaspheme Me, you make moves without asking Me
Then you blame Me for your troubles and calamities, you kidding me?

Keep Me first, keep Me in your life, and it's gonna be alright
See I'm Jesus Christ, the Fifth Element up in here tonight


I don’t know about you, but without “Christ” for me X-mas sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment